When I found myself in a foreign place
I had always heard of New York, who hasn't? I wanted to go with all of my heart. I had never been to that side of the country. Finally an opportunity opened up, and I grabbed it. I was so excited to be flying to NEW YORK! I would be going in November (2014) with my aunt Camille, Uncle Joe, and their seventeen year old Norwegian exchange student (who had already been there more than me haha), Marley.
I stepped into new air when I got off that plane. Literally, I could smell a million cigarets and urine (mostly inside the subway stations). I was about to get on my first metro and my bag got stuck. As I was trying so free my bag, an angry hobo woman began yelling at me, "You're doing it wrong!" The woman waddled over mumbling angry words. She's so tired of idiot tourists like me. I can tell. New Yorkers are tired of idiots- they don't want them interrupting their own little worlds.
On the metro, my jacket was hanging down in a woman's face as I stood holding onto the dirty bar (when the metro first started, I wasn't hanging onto the bar nor was I aware how fast it would start so I did go flying into more tired-of-idiots people.) The woman told me to "get [my] damn jacket out of [her] face!" I said sorry and moved my position, she was not amused. Definitely a tired-of-idiots person. I learned how "things were done" in New York the hard way.
Camille was a fabulous guide and took us around the town. I'm not sure what my favorite part was, honestly there was way too much to choose from. Although I was yelled at a few times, I loved every second of it. New York was everything it was stereotyped to be. It was dirty, there are lots o' angry people, everyone wears black, no one sleeps, taxis are everywhere, and the lights are big and beautiful (It rained when we were there which added to the beautiful lights because they reflected off the rain puddles).

I stepped into new air when I got off that plane. Literally, I could smell a million cigarets and urine (mostly inside the subway stations). I was about to get on my first metro and my bag got stuck. As I was trying so free my bag, an angry hobo woman began yelling at me, "You're doing it wrong!" The woman waddled over mumbling angry words. She's so tired of idiot tourists like me. I can tell. New Yorkers are tired of idiots- they don't want them interrupting their own little worlds.
On the metro, my jacket was hanging down in a woman's face as I stood holding onto the dirty bar (when the metro first started, I wasn't hanging onto the bar nor was I aware how fast it would start so I did go flying into more tired-of-idiots people.) The woman told me to "get [my] damn jacket out of [her] face!" I said sorry and moved my position, she was not amused. Definitely a tired-of-idiots person. I learned how "things were done" in New York the hard way.


Comments
Post a Comment